Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Chrono Crusade



Title:  Chrono Crusade
Mangaka:  Daisuke Moriyama
Length:  8 Volumes (Completed)
English Translation?  Yes, all have been released by ADV Manga.
Demo/Genre:  Shounen/Fantasy/Historical/Action

How did I find out about it?  My college otaku buddy recommended it to me.

The scene is America in the 1920s.  Rosette Christopher is an exorcist nun in the Magdalan Order.  She and her partner Chrono (who happens to be a demon himself) travel across New York City, beating down the demons that are stirring up trouble, usually racking up an impressive amount of property damage in the process.  We learn that Rosette has her own personal reasons for joining the Order:  she's looking for her lost younger brother, who was taken by a demon four years ago, a demon who also seems to share a past with Chrono...

The artwork is nice, if a little busy.  I really liked Rosette (gun-toting nun?  Yes, please!), but I loved Chrono.  The bond between the two of them was great.  There were several side characters, and I felt that they were nicely done as well, which is rather rare for such a short series.  I can't really complain.

I feel like a distinct line can be drawn between the first and second halves of the series.  During the first half, we meet our cast and learn their goals.  The series is pretty funny, and the action is nicely executed.  During this exposition, we learn about the world of CC and, most importantly, establish the bond between Rosette and Chrono.  While not overtly romantic, their relationship is deeper than mere comrades.  Long story short, Chrono derives his power directly from Rosette's soul, which shortens her lifespan.  This not only serves to set up the how the world of CC works, but also gives us a launching point from which to see their care and devotion to one another.  When Chrono is in danger, Rosette doesn't hesitate to open the seal that gives power to Chrono, her own lifespan be damned.  On the other side of things, Chrono is extremely hesitant to use his power and often outright refuses because he doesn't want to shorten her life any further.  It's a very basic concept, but it works excellently for setting a foundation for the reader to understand the air between the two of them.

The second half of the series plunges you headfirst into the plot.  We learn the plight of Rosette's brother and the shades are finally lifted on Chrono's past.  I liked the first half of the series, but I loved the second half.  With brilliant character development and a well-crafted villain, the series plows forward to its beautiful and bittersweet ending that brought tears to my eyes.  I guess I can't go into much more detail without giving something away, can I?


Even if you're not a fan of shounen, I have to recommend CC.  The story and characters are great, and the ending is very memorable and will stick with you for a long time.  Is this one I want to collect?  Yep, and I already have.


1 comment:

  1. I loved this manga got it from your blog... thank you (*○*) even tho I thought I wouldn't like it at first

    ReplyDelete