Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Fairy Cube



Title:  Fairy Cube
Japanese Title:  Yousei Hyouhon Fairy Cube
Mangaka:  Kaori Yuki
Length:  3 Volumes (Completed)
English Translation?  Yes, all released by Viz Media.
Demo/Genre:  Shoujo/Fantasy/Horror/Romance

For his entire life, Ian Hasumi has been able to see fairies.  While he can see the various ones that co-inhabit the planet, he has a particular relationship with what is essentially his evil fairy twin, Tokage.  One day, Ian stumbles onto the scene of a murder and watches the murderer extract a strange cube from the body.  He follows the murderer and learns that fairies are involved in this crime spree.  Ian is given a Fairy Cube, which grants Tokage the ability to finally take over Ian's body.  Now Ian must find a way to make it back to the human world before Tokage hurts Rin, the girl he loves, and before a large corporation's plot to take over the Fairy World can come to pass.

I admit that I may have jumbled a few details of the plot, but I think I have the gist of it down...  It's been several months since I read it, and it wasn't that long.  I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't the kind of series that sticks to you.  Does the premise sound incredibly crazy?  Yup.  Can't deny that.  But oddly enough, it works.  The first volume was a little slow, but as you read on, both the characters and the plot become more interesting.  I cared about Ian's and Rin's relationship.  I loved the imagination in the series.  I also loved how dark it is.  I have not yet read any other series by Yuki-sensei, but from the descriptions, it kinda sounds like "dark" is a trend with her works.  This one will not disappoint in that department.  I thought it was quite refreshing to read a book about evil fairies (not that all of them were evil).


This is a short review because this was a short series.  I really don't have a lot to say about it.  It's a refreshing, enjoyable read.  Will I collect it?  Yeah, probably.  I say that it "didn't stick to me," but I think I kinda want it to.  I definitely want to reread it, and since it's so short, it won't be difficult to collect.  I plan on getting them all in one fell swoop from ebay at some point in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment